Monday, July 10, 2006

Love and War

Homma was the Japanese General who occupied the Philippines in 1941. The Tokyo administration kicked him out of his position in 1942 for allegedly being too lenient to the Filipinos (like his opposition to Japanese troops raping Filipinas--there are evidences of both). He was sentenced to death after the Tokyo War Tribunal in what some historians consider as "irregular trial" in 1946.

This was a letter to his wife before he died:

“In the twenty years of our married life we’ve had many differences of opinion and even violent quarrels. Those quarrels have now become sweet memories…Now as I am about to part from you, I particularly see your good qualities, and I have completely forgotten any defects… Twenty years feel short but they are long. I am content that we have lived a happy life together. If there is what is called the other world, we’ll be married again. I’ll go first and wait for you there, but you musn’t hurry. Live as long as you can for the children and do those things for me I haven’t been able to do. You will see our grandchildren and even great-grandchildren and tell me all about them when we meet again in the other world. Thank you very much for everything.”

No comments: